Pursuant to the letter and spirit of the Joint Agreement on Safety and Immunity Guarantees (JASIG), the Chairpersons of the Negotiating Panels of the Government of the Republic of the Philippines (GRP) and the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) hereby adopt the following additional implementing rules of the JASIG exclusively pertaining to the documents of identification, to wit:
DOCUMENTS OF IDENTIFICATION
1. Each party shall be entitled to issue not more than eighty‑five (85) documents of identification that shall be duly recognized as safe conduct passes as provided for in Article I, Paragraph 2 of the JASIG. The holders of such documents of identification who are otherwise known as duly accredited persons under Article I, Paragraph 2, sub‑paragraph 5 of the JASIG shall be designated on the basis of the following functions: negotiators, consultants, staffers, security and other personnel. The number of said documents of identification may be increased later for reasons mutually agreed upon by the Negotiating Panels.
2. In addition to the documents of identification priorly issued by the Panel Chairperson of one party, the Panel Chairperson of the other party shall issue the following acknowledgement which shall contain the name and designation of the duly accredited person, as well as the serial number and period of validity of his/her document of identification, to wit:
(Phone and Fax Numbers)
This is to ACKNOWLEDGE that ___________________________________________________
with Document of Identification Number _________________is a ________________________________
in the GRP‑NDFP peace negotiations.
The above named person is entitled to the safety and immunity guarantees as provided under the Joint Agreement on Safety and immunity Guarantees (JASIG) for the duration of the peace negotiations.
You are hereby required to facilitate the safe conduct and free passage of the above named person.
Thank you for your courtesy and assistance.
3. For purposes of further verification of identity, the duly accredited person holding a document of identification bearing therein an assumed name shall submit a separate photograph to the Chairperson of the Negotiating Panel to which he or she belongs. Said photograph shall be placed in a sealed envelope and shall be entrusted to the custody of a mutually acceptable third party within a period of seventy-five (75) days from the date of issuance of the document of identification or the signing of this Document. Thereafter, the sealed envelope shall be deposited in a Safety Deposit Box protected by three separate locks and shall be opened only when the need for further verification of identity arises. The deposit of the sealed envelope, and the opening and closing of the safety deposit box shall only be done in the presence of the Panel Chairpersons or their representatives and the third party. Each of them shall separately hold the key to each of the three different locks of the safety deposit box.
4. All documents of identification not exceeding eighty-five (85) in number issued between April 1, 1995 and the date of this Document pursuant to Article I, Paragraph 2 of the JASIG are hereby affirmed as valid. In this regard, compliance with the requirements of the preceding Paragraph 3 as to the timely submission of photographs and other requirements as provided for in the said Paragraph 3, may be dispensed with by the issuing party by replacing the assumed name in the document of identification that has already been issued with the true name of the holder thereof with due notice to the Chairperson of the other party.
1. This Additional Implementing Rules Pertaining to the Documents of Identification or any provision hereof shall not be interpreted in any manner as to contravene or supersede the JASIG or any provisions thereof and shall be without prejudice to the self‑executory provisions of the JASIG.
2. Any issuance, interpretation or application done separately or unilaterally by either party pertaining to this Document which is in conflict with or in violation of the JASIG shall be null and void and of no force and effect.
ADOPTED on this 26th day of June 1996 at The Hague, The Netherlands.
FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF THE PHILIPPINES NEGOTIATING PANEL:
HOWARD Q. DEE
|FOR THE NATIONAL DEMOCRATIC FRONT OF THE PHILIPPINES NEGOTIATING PANEL:
LUIS G. JALANDONI